Keto diet has gained popularity all over the world in the past decade. People have found that they have lost weight by using the keto diet. However, the main aim of the keto diet was to treat epilepsy in children and adults. The body uses carbohydrates produced energy as fuel for the brain, which due to some problems, results in seizures. So, the doctor came up with the keto diet. The diet provides fewer carbohydrates and more fat to the body. So, in the absence of carbohydrates, the liver converts fat into energy, which is ketone bodies. These ketone bodies help the brain and body in the functioning, and it also avoids seizures. However, there are limited food items available in the keto diet. So, the article provides a list of keto foods for reference.
There are two types of keto diet charts available – vegetarian and non-vegetarian. So, the person can opt for any chart depending on their food choices.
Vegetarian Keto Foods
- There is a wide range of vegetables, and the person can choose those that provide low carbs. So, the person can choose any non-starchy plant, for example, spinach to reduce their carbs intake. However, it contains very fewer carbs.
- Cheese is the primary source of protein and fats that contains fewer carbohydrates. It can help in strengthening muscles and also in reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- Many salads include avocados because they are rich in nutrients such as vitamins and potassium. Again, it contains a lower amount of carbs, and it also helps in reducing cholesterol.
- Coconut oil contains fatty and low carbs. So, the shorter chains of fat would become easy for the liver to convert.
- Yogurt and cottage cheese contain carbs, but lower consumption quantities can help the person. Moreover, people can combine them with other items such as nuts, cinnamon, and sweet to make it more delicious.
- The person can opt for seafood. The major seafood items such as fish contain valuable nutrients such as Vitamin B and potassium, but they lack in carbs. However, there are other items such as clams, oysters, and squid, which contain less than 5 grams of carbs.
- Meat and poultry are next up on the list. The person can choose to eat meat, which is rich in fat and has low carbs. However, consuming both can lead to an increase in cholesterol.
- The other major essential food item is eggs. People have used eggs in the regular diet because they are rich in protein. Moreover, it regulates sugar levels and keeps the person healthy.
Thus, the above list of keto foods would make the person believe that they have food options. During the initial years of the keto diet, the people had doubts about the type of food that they can eat on the menu. However, with proper research, nutritionists were able to find enough sources of food, and the person would not have to stay hungry for a longer time.